As the time passes by, new terminal emulators are being released by other companies. While Tera Term still holds 2 main advantages
- it is open source, i.e. completely free and
- it has macro scripting language,
other products more and more often outplay it with the number of features and have more up-to-date user interface. MobaXTerm
is one of the examples. It is even available for free with the limited feature set.
While I'm using Tera Term for over 15 years and have no intention switching to another program, I'd love to have more "conveniences" and appearance more like this:
All Tera Term versions that were ever released are built around the core developed in mid-90's. It will take a tremendous effort to add support off all these new fancy features. In fact, it might not be even possible without re-writing the whole thing. That's why Collector, TTMenu and LogMeTT are all separate add-ons and not the part of Tera Term itself.
So, how about building a new application (kind of mega-add-on) that will make Tera Term to look more like the image above? Here are the main features it could have:
- completely independent from Tera Term, acting as GUI wrapper, i.e. no single change of Tera Term source code should be required
- tabbed interface
- quick connect option (list of recent connections like in MobaXTerm and SecureCRT)
- macro tree functionality like in LogMeTT
- built-in macro editor functionality like TTLEditor
- few built-in tools like subnet calculator
- set of buttons that would send configurable command strings to the terminal
- other time-saving features
I've done initial research and looks like all this is doable, however developing such tool will require significant amount of time, which I do not have, i.e. we either need a volunteer, or I can find somebody who can do coding, however that won't be free. Apart from this, after every new release of Tera Term such tool will require regression testing and possibly updates to make sure it remains functional.
I'd like to hear what are your thoughts about such tool and please pick one of the 8 voting options above
. Polling is open for all including not registered visitors of these forums.