- start button
- middle section showing shortcuts and open programs
- notification area, which includes clock and icons of certain running applications
In earlier Windows versions software developers could place the icon of their application into notification area and it would remain visible until user closes the application. Starting Windows 7 newly added icon becomes hidden in about 45 seconds after its first appearence. This behavior cannot be changed programmatically as Microsoft decided to put user in control of what he sees on the screen and in particular in taskbar notification area.Prior to Windows 10 it was easy to display hidden application icon in notification area:
- user clicks on Show hidden icons button  and little window pops up
- user clicks Customize… link and notification area settings window appears
- user finds the application he wants to see in notification area and changes behavior setting to Show icon and notification
Starting from Windows 10, Microsoft removed Customize… link from little popup window and it became much less obvious of how to recover hidden notification area icons. The following step-by-step instruction will guide you through this process. As an example we will use LogMeTT application.
How to Show Icon and Notifications in Windows 10
Step 1Clicks on Show hidden icons button  and make sure LogMeTT is running, i.e. LogMeTT icon is present in little popup window.
Start the application if it is not running.
Click on Start button then click Settings.
Step 3In Settings window click System.
Step 4In System window click Notifications & actions.
Step 5In Notifications & actions window click Select which icons appear on the taskbar.
Step 6In the next window you have options to either always show all icons in notification area, or show icons of selected applications. Click on corresponding On/Off switch to change the setting. In our case we changed only LogMeTT related setting.
After Step 6 LogMeTT icon appears in notification area.
This is one time procedure; even if you close LogMeTT and re-start it later, LogMeTT icon will re-appear in notification area.
How to Show Notifications Only in Windows 10
In some cases you may want application icon to remain hidden, while still be able to receive notifications from this application.
To achieve such behavior repeat steps 1 to 4 listed above. Then while in Notifications & actions window, scroll down and find LogMeTT in Show notifications from these apps list. Change setting to On.
Please note that if your application has not generated a notification since Windows is up, it may be absent from the above list. In such case you need to force the application to issue a notification. The way to do it is application-specific. The steps below describe how to force LogMeTT to generate a notification.
If you do not see LogMeTT in the list, perform these steps:
- make sure LogMeTT is running
- perform above 6 steps to make LogMeTT icon always visible
- once LogMeTT icon appears, close notification settings window
- right-click on LogMeTT icon and in popup menu choose Configure …
- in LogMeTT Configuration window click on menu Help » Check for Updates
- LogMeTT will show notification similar to this:
- repeat above 6 steps, but in step number 6 change LogMeTT's visiblility setting to Off
- return to Notifications & actions window
- LogMeTT is now listed in Show notifications from these apps list and you can change its notification setting to On.
Alternate Step 5
If the link from Step 5 above does not exist do the following.
Right click on Windows Taskbar and in popup menu click Settings.
In the Settings window click Taskbar then click Select which icons appear on the taskbar.
Continue with Step 6 above.